Sunday, December 21, 2008

There were elevators there

Someone once said to just throw it all away. So we overcompensated. We traveled through time. I saw you from the closet and you said I could be a stewardess from the seventies. I stepped out of the plane.

I was in the nineties and she was so hungry, I went to find the big krackers in the little kabinet in the dark kitchen. I left her next to the window with snow in her hair and went into her mind. I wanted to bring her Buddha back and put it in her empty hands. If I were better at time travelling I would have said, "Here's some enlightenment."

I saw the burned books--frayed pages covered in red. I wanted to cry but the smile stuck. I hurt for the words but I appreciated the art. Even if it wasn't for it's own sake.

I whispered through the crack under the bathroom door, "There's beauty here and it's pefect just where it is."

We never wanted to be alone and I said even if the word perfect were spelled wrong she would still be it. We cried and she said, "I'll know you when we're forty." We cried and I asked her if I would be a mother.

We write our own histories and we see it on the Brooklyn bridge, hear it in the jazz music, and all that matters is that we hold it in our tiny hands. We are beauty and pain. We are a pair of legs, a pair of eyes, and we are metaphors.

You make my lips quiver and my eyes water.

4 comments:

Hasnain Dill said...

Partytent offertes met een stevige korting. Vergelijk alle huur en verhuur partytent leveranciers bij u in de regio van uw feestlocatie en ontvang een stevige korting! Partytent

Hasnain Dill said...

Klebe BH | Brust-anhebenden Push-up Klebe BH wird von 3M hergestellt und eignet sich perfekt für trägerlose oder rückenfreie und strapless Kleidung.Bra Tape

Adeela Abbas said...

You have done good job. Nice post Thanks for sharing, Below some useful information too......
Franke Sink Tap Packages, Franke Inset Sinks, Franke Undermount Sinks, Franke Hoods, Franke Downdraft, Franke Kitchen Taps, Franke Instant Hot Water Taps, Franke Filter Flow Taps. Franke Waste Disposal, Franke Kitchen Accessories.
Thanks

Pakistani Talk Shows said...

I appreciate your blog post, beautifully expressed and well written.
Pakistani Talk Shows, Dramas Online, Drama Online, Pakistani Dramas, Urdu Columns, Hum TV Dramas, ARY Dramas, Urdu News